Blue Moon Cupcakes? Why, YES we did put beer in these cupcakes! And better than that, we’ll tell ya how we did it.
Yield: 18-20 cupcakes
2 1/4 cups flour
1 1/4 cups sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
3/4 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup unsalted butter (softened)
2 eggs and 2 egg yolks
1 teaspoon vanilla
3/4 cup Blue Moon beer
1/4 cup whole milk
2 teaspoons grated orange zest
orange slices for garnishing
Orange Blue Moon Buttercream Frosting
2 sticks softened butter
5 cups powdered sugar
4 teaspoons fresh orange juice
4 tablespoons Blue Moon beer
1/2 teaspoon grated orange zest
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F, and prepare your muffin tins with paper liners. In a large bowl, use a whisk to mix together flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
2. Using an electric mixer with the paddle attachment, beat softened butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add your eggs, one at a time, beating well after each.
3. Add the vanilla, Blue Moon beer, milk and orange zest. Mix until combined, scraping the sides when needed.
4. With the mixer on low, slowly add the dry flour mixture, mixing until just combined. Do not overmix. Scoop batter into cupcake liners, and bake for 20 minutes or until cake tester comes out clean. Let cool.
5. For the frosting, mix together butter and about half of the powdered sugar with an electric mixer with the paddle attachment. Add fresh orange juice, Blue Moon beer, orange zest and remaining powdered sugar. Mix until smooth. If your frosting is too runny, add more powdered sugar a small amount at a time until you get desired consistency. If frosting is too stiff, add milk, one tablespoon or less at a time.
6. To make the orange garnish, cut ends off of a whole orange and cut into wedges. Place atop finished cupcake.
Download your free Father’s Day Cupcake Topper!!!
Special thanks to hgtv.com for featuring our beer inspired recipe!