Are you ready for some cupcakes?!?! We are sharing our margarita cupcakes recipe today, and you WON’T want to miss it!
Yield: 2 dozen cupcakes
2 1/4 cups flour
1 1/4 cups sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
3/4 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup unsalted butter (softened)
2 eggs and 2 egg yolks
1 teaspoon vanilla
3/4 cup non-alcoholic liquid margarita mix
2 teaspoons grated lime zest
2 tablespoons tequila for brushing on top of cupcakes
Tequila Lime Buttercream Frosting
2 sticks softened butter
5 cups powdered sugar
4 teaspoons fresh lime juice
2 tablespoons tequila
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Prepare your muffin tins with paper liners. In a large bowl, use a whisk to mix together flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
2. Using an electric mixer with the paddle attachment, beat softened butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add your eggs, one at a time, beating well after each.
3. Add the vanilla, margarita mix and zest. Mix until combined, scraping the sides when needed.
4. With the mixer on low, slowly add the dry flour mix, mixing until just combined. Do not overmix. Bake for 20 minutes or until cake tester comes out clean. After removing from oven, brush tequila on the cupcake tops while they are still warm.
5. For the frosting, mix together butter and about half of powdered sugar with an electric mixer with the paddle attachment. Add lime juice, tequila and remaining powdered sugar; mix until smooth. If your frosting is a bit too runny, add a bit more powdered sugar until you get to the consistency you desire. If frosting is too stiff, mix in a bit of milk, one tablespoon or less at a time.
6. To make the lime twist, begin by washing a lime and cutting the ends off (image 1). Make a shallow incision from one end to the other, cutting just through the rind. Slice thin rounds of your lime (image 2), and remove all of the meat (image 3). Twist the rind strip into a curly cue and place on top of your frosted cupcake (images 3 and 4). Sprinkle with a bit of coarse salt of desired.
Lime Twist How To:
Cut both ends of lime off so that pulp is showing. Cut slit into lime just enough so that it cuts through the rind (the white part).
Thinly slice lime into wheels.
Starting at the slit, gently peel fruit away from rind. Do this slowly and carefully because it can break easily.
Once you have your strip of lime peel, its time to turn it into a twist! Wrap around finger to make it a tight ringlet, and pull each side to stretch into a corkscrew. Let go, and twist should take shape.
Add to your Margarita Cupcake and enjoy!